Dreaming of Firenze?

La Dolce Vita, Firenze-style
On Thanksgiving Eve, as I make cranberry relish, my grandmother's Italian-style stuffing, and Mississippi Mud Cake, I've been taking brief breaks between all the grating, mixing, and sauteeing to dip into The Stones of Florence by the inimitable Mary McCarthy.


See the underlining?  I made it in 1985, when I was just back from my first trip to Europe, a solo backpacking expedition that turned me into the rabid Italophile I've been ever since.  

Vespa showroom

Now I'm revisiting McCarthy's classic book as I choose texts for a travel-writing class I'm planning--a study tour to Italy that will run from June 28 to July 29.  We will be based in Rome, with excursions to Sorrento, Assisi, Pompeii, Orvieto, Capri, and, of course, Firenze!


Are you dreaming of Firenze too?  There's still space left in my class.  Any college student in a degree-granting program (graduate or undergraduate) is welcome to apply.  We'll be reading some wonderful travel memoirs, writing our own short travel pieces, workshopping, rewriting, and using Italy as our classroom.

For more information, visit the Saint Joseph's University Center for International Programs Summer Study Tour page. 

Study Tour faces from years past

Comments

Popular Posts