Bare Branches: A Mid-December Update


The other day on Twitter, #amwriting was trending.  This made me sad, because I #amnotwriting lately.  Nanowrimo happened without me.   Months have passed since the last time I put words on paper.  Insert excuses here.  As a friend of mine used to say, "Any excuse will do." 

And this long fallow season isn't about to end soon.  Final portfolios and exams have been flooding my desk, and as soon as the grading winds down, the holiday season preparation is destined to ramp up.  


2014 is likely to be history before I manage to get any writing done.  So I was heartened to read this post from the fabulous writer Beth Kephart. 

Branches in the Sky by Zanuardian
I have to believe, as Beth promises, that my next story is waiting for me.  And, after all,  there have been recent hopeful signs.  A new character has been taking shape in my head.  I can see her, and certain things about her have revealed themselves to me lately.  But I won't hear her voice until I can sit down at the computer and start trying to channel it onto the page.  In the meantime, I have to trust she'll be there when I'm finally ready.




Comments

Popular Posts